Objectives of learning BIOLOGY under CBSE Curriculum
The present syllabus reinforces the ideas introduced in the lower classes while the students learn
new concepts besides getting an exposure to contemporary areas of the subject. The syllabus also aims at emphasizing the underlying principles that are common to both animals and plants as well as highlighting the relationships of biology with other areas of knowledge. The format of the syllabus allows a simple, clear, consequential flow of concepts without any jarring jumps. The syllabus also stresses the connection of the study of Biology to real life problems, use of biological discoveries/innovations in everyday life - in environment, nature, medicine, health and agriculture. The updated syllabus also focuses on reducing the curriculum load while ensuring that ample opportunities and scope for learning and appreciating basic concepts of the subject continues to be available within its framework.
The prescribed syllabus is expected to:
· promote understanding of basic principles of biology
· learning of emerging knowledge and its relevance to individual and society
· encourage rational/specific attitude to issues related to population, environment and development
· enhance awareness about environmental issues and problems and the appropriate solutions
· create awareness amongst the learners about variations amongst the living and developing respect for the diversities and to appreciate that the most complex biological phenomenon are also built on essentially simple processes.
It is expected that the students would get an exposure to various branches of Biology in the syllabus in a more contextual and friendly manner as they study its various units.